History

The OMWA was formed in 1908 at the prompting of the Headmaster of the day, the Rev. G. A. Jones. Previously there had been a dinner club. The Cricket Club was also formed in 1908. The Association’s objectives were to continue friendships started at school, promote sporting activities and act for the mutual benefit of former pupils and school
staff.

The Association has since developed considerably, but still pursues its original aims.

On the sporting side, only the Cricket Club has survived for the entire life of the Association. Athletics, motoring, rambling, soccer and tennis sections have had their glory days but are now just happy memories. Currently the TMWA also supports amateur dramatics, football, golf, hockey and rugby.

The Cricket Club has four Saturday teams in the Ryman sponsored Surrey Championship, one team in the Griffin Sunday Cricket League and one team in the Surrey Trust League. A very strong Colts Section runs teams at age groups from U8 to U16 in the NEC Surrey Colts League and East Surrey Colts League.

Important Dates:

  • 1908    –           Old Mid-Whitgiftian Cricket Club founded
  • 1908    –           First Old Boys fixture against Whitgift Middle School played
  • 1935    –           Alex Dibbs captains Whitgift Middle School 1st XI
  • 1938    –           Lime Meadow site acquired
  • 1939    –           Clubhouse built
  • 1951    –           Second cricket square added
  • 1974    –           Joined the Truman Surrey County League
  • 1977    –           Inaugural Club tour to Gloucestershire, Somerset and Wiltshire
  • 1978    –           Tour to Gloucestershire, Oxfordshire and Somerset
  • 1980    –           Eight seasons of Gloucester tours commence
  • 1983    –           75th Anniversary Season celebrations include match vs a Surrey XI
  • 1983    –           Alex Dibbs becomes President of MCC
  • 1988    –           Five years of Somerset tours begin
  • 1991    –           First Overseas Tour (to Barbados)
  • 1992    –           Joined the Eve Surrey Championship
  • 1992    –           An Inter-Club ‘Insomniacs Match’ from 4.50am to 9.10pm is played
  • 1993    –           Second trip to Barbados
  • 1993    –           Colts Section re-formed
  • 1994    –           Indoor League, at Slips (Beckenham), Division 6 Play-off Winners
  • 1995    –           Overseas Tour to Sri Lanka
  • 1995    –           Installation of All Weather Pitch
  • 1996    –           Somerset toured again
  • 1997    –           Overseas Tour to Zimbabwe
  • 1997    –           One of 8 founder members of the Fullers Old Boys Sunday League
  • 1997    –           Mark Butcher becomes the first Old Boy to play for England
  • 1997    –           First Overseas Player registered
  • 1998    –           Worcester becomes the HQ for the first of seven annual tours
  • 1999    –           Gained Promotion to Surrey Championship Division 1
  • 2000    –           Wicket covers purchased
  • 2001    –           Third Overseas Tour to Barbados
  • 2004    –           Second Sri Lanka Tour
  • 2007    –           Overseas Tour to South Africa
  • 2008    –           OMWCC Centenary
  • 2008    –           New outdoor nets facility installed
  • 2008    –           Awarded Clubmark accreditation
  • 2009    –           Club Name changed to Trinity Mid-Whitgiftian Cricket Club
  • 2010    –           Joined the Surrey Trust League
  • 2010    –           Mark Butcher inducted as Honorary Life Member
  • 2011    –           Electronic scoreboard installed
  • 2011    –           Achieved Focus Club status
  • 2012    –           U8s, U9s & U10s all win their leagues
  • 2012    –           Boundary fencing erected around bottom square